Monday, November 7, 2011

Apps for Reluctant Readers and Writers


We were able to view Barb Welsford’s Apps in Action for Reluctant Readers and Reluctant Writers during this class.  Both of these Webinars provided resources for students we see in every classroom.  I can just imagine what education would be like if every student was able to have access to such tools and if IT was available to each school and student. 

I decided to focus on the writing apps.  The following are a few apps I think would be useful in the high school classroom:

Dragon Dictate:  As easy as a tap and talk, this allows students to record their ideas and then the app transfers the speech to text.  This app is free…I have had the chance to try this app and it is easy to use and is fairly accurate in tranfering the speech to text. 

IThoughts $7.99 which is very similar to Inspiration will allow students to create brains storms and planning before writing. 

Pictello and Reel Director have been discussed in an earlier blog, but are wonderful tools for reluctant writers as options to written text.

POW!  I liked this app as well because it is similar to Comic Life, which I find many of my students like.  This app may work better for elementary students though.

Writing Toolkit- $3.99- reading and decoding.  I loved the examples!  There is a lot of information in this app, I liked this app better than Storyteller!

Writepad- This program would be better for use on an IPad.  It is available for only  $3.99. 

Voice Memo- With this app you can complete email recording for only $0.99.

Tiki Notes-  This app is free!  It may take awhile for student to get the hang of using this app.

No comments:

Post a Comment